Tomorrow is the Groundbreaking ceremony for the renovation and expansion of the RYSE Youth Center in Richmond, California. Opportunity Fund’s New Markets Tax Credits program invested $11.55MM in this project, in partnership with Raza Development Fund, Community Vision, and U.S. Bancorp Community Development Corporation.
RYSE Youth Center
RYSE Youth Center is a safe space for young people in Richmond, California, a community that suffers from historic disinvestment where the youth bear the brunt of the health and economic impacts.RYSE offers education and health programming, leadership skills, and career development at no charge to low-income youth ages 13 to 21 in order to better prioritize safety, health, and opportunities available for low-income youth of color.
RYSE has an effective model in which its programming (and many of the design elements in the new facility) are driven by the youth, as part of its leadership development work. Many former participants have returned from college to become full-time staff.
The expansion will include:
- A renovation of RYSE’s current 6,600 sq. ft. space
- New construction of a 11,000 sq. ft. indoor and 24,000 sq. ft. outdoor space
The Impact Once Completed
- An estimated 6,750 unique individuals served annually
- Expanded age range (11-24) of youth served
- Increased access to primary care and mental health services
- New youth-centered sanctuary and healing spaces
- Doubled capacity for paid internship programs
- Access to high-quality facilities for technology exploration, workforce development, and media production
- Increase in opportunities to engage parents, guardians, and extended support systems
- 56 projected full-time equivalent permanent positions, 52 of which will be accessible to low income individuals
- 155 projected construction jobs, 75 of which will be accessible to low income people.
If you are interested in learning more about the Opportunity Fund’s New Markets Tax Credit Program, please reach out to Marissa Meir at Marissa@OpportunityFund.org.