Thank You to Our Outgoing Board Chair, Susan Harper Greene
As we ring in the new fiscal year on July 1, we also say good-bye—but most importantly "Thank You!"—to our outgoing Board Chair, Susan Harper Greene. Susan became a member of Opportunity Fund's Board of Directors in September 2010 and took the reins as Board Chair in July 2015. She not only has witnessed incredible growth during her time at Opportunity Fund, but has also helped lead it.
Let's look at some of the milestones Opportunity Fund achieved during Susan's two-year term as Board Chair (July 2015 - June 2017):
• FY2016 and FY2017 were our biggest lending years, and we helped more people than ever before! This year, we surpassed the milestone of $200 million in small business lending.
• We made our 10,000th loan!
• We started lending nationally! In 2015, we had just announced our unique referral partnership with Lending Club; this year, we used that partnership to expand to 12 new states.
• At the same time, we deepened our commitment to California and extended our reach to new areas, like San Diego and Sacramento.
• We hired our 100th employee—and have continued to grow since.
• We achieved our 2013 strategic plan to invest $100M by 2018 two years early... so we launched our new strategic plan to invest $500 Million in underserved communities by 2020.
Thank you, Susan, for all your dedication to Opportunity Fund and for helping us reach these major milestones!
Thank you to all our departing board members: Yolanda Ruiz and Steve Kaufhold
This year also marks the end of term for another valued member of our Board of Directors, Yolanda Ruiz. Yolanda has been a Board member since February 2011 and has also helped lead Opportunity Fund's growth. As a member of the Fund Development Committee, she understood the role that philanthropy and fund development play in the organization and helped guide the growth of our community of supporters (we are thrilled that Yolanda will continue on as a member of the committee in the coming year). Thank you, Yolanda!
Steve Kaufhold will also be leaving the Board this year. Since he joined the board in 2012, Steve has contributed as a member of the Board Governance, Audit, and Fund Development committees. We appreciate all that you've done for Opportunity Fund in your time as a Board member—Thank you, Steve!
We are delighted that Susan and Yolanda will continue to stay engaged with Opportunity Fund as the newest members of our Board Emeritus.
Welcome Greg Avis, our New Board Chair!
But it's not all good-byes.... We welcome Greg Avis as the new Chair of Opportunity Fund's Board of Directors! Greg Avis has been an active member of Opportunity Fund's Board of Directors since September 2015 and will officially head the Board as of this July. "Access to financing is not easy to come by for small business owners seeking less than $250,000—particularly for those without formal P&L's or flashy business plans. But Opportunity Fund gives these entrepreneurs the chance to chart their own futures," said Greg. "The impact and benefit to society is clear: more small businesses equates to more jobs, which is vital to our economy."
We're excited to see what milestones Opportunity Fund will achieve under Greg's term as Board Chair.